Personal injury is an area of civil law that allows people who have been injured to collect damages or financial compensation from the person or group who caused the injury. These damages come in several different types, and the amount of money an injured party can recover depends on a variety of different factors.
If you or a loved one has been injured in Missouri or Kansas, the Missouri personal injury lawyers at Cullan & Cullan can help you understand whether you have a legal cause of action and how much you could reasonably expect to recover.
Our firm handles a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
- Birth injury (cerebral palsy and brachial plexus injury)
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Wrongful death
- Tractor-trailer accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home negligence
- Defective products
Call (816) 253-8606 for a free case evaluation!
Damages for Personal Injury Cases
There are several types of damages that victims of serious personal injuries can claim:
- Medical Bills: When you are injured because of someone else’s carelessness or wrongful act, you are legally entitled to be compensated for any medical expenses you have to pay for the treatment of your injury. This can include actual medical treatment, future medical treatment, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, medication, and any other medical expense that may result from your personal injury. Our Missouri personal injury attorneys can help you determine what damages you may be able to collect for your medical expenses.
- Lost Wages and Other Economic Losses: A serious personal injury can prevent you from working. The permanent effects of the injury may even make it impossible for you to do the work that you were doing at the time of injury. If so, you may need to go back to school to be trained in a new profession. Under personal injury law, you are entitled to recover damages for the money that you will lose as a result of your inability to work. If your injuries will limit your ability to work for your entire life, the amount recovered for lost wages can be quite substantial.
- Pain and Suffering: Major injuries can result in significant pain and discomfort, both physical and emotional. Financial compensation may be granted for physical pain and mental suffering that you experience. While this may be hard to quantify, our personal injury lawyers can use their medical degrees and advanced medical training to explain, either in negotiations or in the courtroom, the pain and anguish that afflicts you.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are awarded to you not as compensation for your injury but rather as a punishment to the person or group that caused it. If a company, hospital, doctor, or nurse, was grossly or willfully negligent and you or someone you love was injured due to that negligence, the court may require that the defendants pay punitive damages as a penalty for their flagrant disregard for your safety and wellbeing.
We’re Medical Doctors & Trial Attorneys
If you believe you have a personal injury caused by the careless or willful act of another person or group, now is the time to contact our personal injury attorney in Missouri. As medical doctors and trial attorneys, we can protect your legal rights as no other firm can. We will strive to make sure that you are fully and fairly compensated for your injuries.
Contact our Missouri offices today at (816) 253-8606 for your free consultation.